Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is a great way to kick start your digestive system… Squeeze ¼-½ a lemon into 8-16 ounces of warm to hot water and sip. Take a look at 10 other ways regular lemon water can keep you healthy.
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity which is a major cause of systemic inflammation which is linked to many diseases. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it is actually metabolized into a basic substance in the body.
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline/anti-inflammatory diet lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn, gall bladder issues and constipation.
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so be sure to drink only diluted lemon water.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.
9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: Lemon water has been found to curb cravings for coffee, which is highly inflammatory.
Tip: Drink your warm lemon water in coffee cups that has coffee or tea stains. The lemon water will help remove them.
Tip: Grind the used lemon rinds in your garbage disposal to help deodorize it.